(celebrates 80 years in business)
(trading from 1939 to the present)
Wallis (trading 1939 to1981)
John Wallis (cycles 1981 to
Richard Wallis (electrical
1981 to present)
In May 1939,
A E. WALLIS was started by Arthur E Wallis
after taking over a business, in what is now 40
High St, from Reg Stainsby, who wanted to
concentrate on his Garage business on the Main
Rd. In September
1939 War was declared.
However Arthur continued to
run the shop until 1941 when he went into the
RAF serving mainly in the Middle East until
1946. Arthur's family ran the business while he
was away. At the end of the war Arthur returned
to take up the reins of the business again.
In 1946/47 Arthur took on the shop next door
number 38 High Street. Televisions became
increasingly popular and there was a big boost
of sales for the 1953 Coronation. A further
boost to sales came when in 1964 colour
television was available.
In 1981 Arthur
was taken ill so John
and Richard start running the business.
1987 The Cycle shop was
moved to the original Barclays Bank building in
No 4 High St now the SureFoot clinic, and the
TV/ Electrical shop was
expanded to use both of the shops
next to the Post
1990 John and Richard
purchased 36 High St, formerly Cruso and
Wilkins Estate Agents, and the cycle shop returned
to be beside the
shop. In 1998 Arthur passed
away. In 2000
John and Richard purchased
34 High St, formerly Fleurtique,
expanding both cycle and televison/electrical
shops. 2019 and A.E. Wallis
celebrates 80 years in business.
shop in 1982/3
work being carried out replacing the windows in 1986
with Roy Gray in the cycle section of the business 1987.
Richard with Roy Gray who was employed for over 35 years by
the Wallis Family.